Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Divine Compassion

James 2:13 ... Mercy triumphs over judgment. NKJV

Mercy triumphs over judgment. The word, "mercy" in this passage is the Greek word, "eleos"; meaning Divine Compassion; tender mercies.  God's mercy.  His Divine compassion toward you and I is a Divine Compassion. 

The word "judgment" is the Greek word "krisis" (pronounced kree-sis). This means accusation, condemnation, damnation.

God's Divine Compassion TRIUMPHS over accusations and condemnations railed against us!  In the person of Jesus Christ, all accusations, all condemnation; it has all been settled. This is the love of the Father towards us.

He knew us before we were in our mother's womb; He knew every challenge we would face, every wrong choice we would make as well as every right choice. He saw our frailties; those times when we would shun His instruction, defiant in our own ways...Yes even in those times, He saw those days ahead for us...and the miracle of it all is that He still chose to love us. He still allowed His Son to be beaten, cursed and accused...all for our benefit...a benefit we didn't deserve. 

When I think about this in from a natural sense of love, I would ask, "Why, Daddy?  Why?"  Would I allow my son to experience such rejection and pain, even death...for a people who would treat me with such contempt? Who seemed as though they knew it all, despising my instruction?  Ignoring the free gift I would provide for them, the gift of eternal life?  I know what the answer to that question would be.

However, that is based on a human, natural love.  God's love is unconditional.  And so He says in His word:"
Mercy tirumphs over judgmment".  HIS DIVINE COMPASSION TOWARDS US OVERCOMES, PREVAILS, REJOICES OVER JUDGMENT. 

Today, as you go through your day, in the context of James 2:13, know that your Heavenly Father's mercy toward you defeats judgment against you and so allow that to empower you to offer mercy to those whom He brings accross your path; let the joy of His mercy spill out of your heart to others...it'll do your heart good!

1 comment:

  1. "Why should I gain from His reward? I cannot give an answer. But this I know with all my heart: His wounds have paid my ransom." - Stuart Townend (How Deep The Father's Love for Us)

    My favorite line from one of my favorite songs. I truly can't fathom either the Father's or the Son's role here. The ultimate sacrifice made for us "while we were still sinners." (Romans 5:8) No greater love than this.

    Thanks once again, Jim. You wow me every day.

    ReplyDelete